Monday, September 7, 2009

Apologies for CD Baby problems

Some of you have had problems trying to order from CDBaby this summer - they're the company that have, for years, provided such excellent service for people buying CDs from my website. Well, they were recently bought by another company, and it appears, from the anecdotal evidence, that they've fired everyone that used to work there and have hired one person to work weekends to replace them. It's a shame. I'm hoping they'll get it together, and I'll let you know if/when they do. I'm so sorry for any problems you've had. I recommend for now that you buy your music from Amazon or your local trusted store (if you have one) or whatever your favorite music outlet is (you can get my music just about anywhere, you know - Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc.)

2 comments:

Mark Drummond Creative said...

Hi Gunnar! I have product "available" on CDBaby as well. My suspicion is that Diskmakers took over CDBaby to run it into the ground, thereby forcing a considerable amount of customers with audio content to distribute to Diskmakers' service. This would be similar to Clear Channel Radio buying a boatload of stations and programming most of them to SUCK.

What resources have you been able to draw upon to get your product into digi-distribution and avoiding the netherworld it goes enters once it is submitted to CDBaby??

Gunnar Madsen said...

Mark,

Your theory about CDBaby makes some sense, but I don't know the real story. I finally had someone get in touch with me, but only because I knew someone who knew them. They fixed some things, but not all, and now I haven't heard from them since. Grr.

I have a 'real' distributor, and they have a contract with IODA for digital distribution. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to go about getting it into iTunes et al.